Friday, October 5, 2012

Frost

   The ground has been covered in frost the last two mornings here in Edmonton and I am reminded that our short summer and even shorter autumn is almost at an end. I have lived here now for more than thirty years in total, 26 in a row last count, but I still have not gotten used to the fact that winter is quite selfish here, hoarding as much of spring and autumn as it can get away with,  leaving those seasons to fight it out with summer as  best they can. 
     I remember long autumns growing up in Montreal, sweater weather for several months, it seemed, until the snows took over. Sometimes there is no autumn here to speak of; we run from summer straight into winter, leaves blown or frozen off the trees before we even have time to consider their passing. This year, at least, we have enjoyed a beautiful September and I try to remember that, as I watch the quickly passing season. Autumn may not end until December on the calendar, but it says goodbye to Alberta long before that. 
     In spite of the frost, I am trying very hard right now to enjoy each of these days that still allow me to tramp around in shoes and a light coat, with the leaves still turning colour on the trees and the grass still green. One morning, perhaps sooner than later, I will wake up not to frost but to a blanket of new fallen snow.  I confess, I do not look forward to that....


No comments:

Post a Comment